Wednesday, November 18, 2009

When Doubt Creeps In

The mind is a powerful thing. It can talk you into doing things and talk you out of doing things. Today I am in a struggle with my mind. As athletes we struggle with mind over matter all day long. Actually, if you are a figure athlete or a bodybuilder, you struggle with mind over matter 24/7/365! As I have said before, I am in the "off season" for my figure training. I still hit the gym 6 days/week, but my diet isn't insane right now so I decided to train for a marathon. The diet is different and the workouts are different. The two definitely contradict each other. I am a runner by nature. I absolutely love to run and run far. I would much rather do a 1/2-marathon over a 5k. Sounds weird, but it is true. I love to run far and get into a groove and just fly. This morning I woke up with extreme self-doubt about my personal goal of qualifying for Boston in January, 2010. Even though I am the fastest I have ever been (thanks to all of my figure training, which has made me stronger and the intervals that have made me faster)I am questioning my ability to hit my goal. Wow. It doesn't happen to me often, but it does and it is happening to me right now. When I was training for my first figure competition, I had several waves of self-doubt. Can I get lean enough? Am I too old? Will I come in last? I overcame all of those doubts and finished strong. It is not unfamiliar territory for athletes, it is just how do you overcome it? Today I am struggling with dropping my marathon training and hitting it hard in the gym instead to set me up for a strong April competition. What if I drop the marathon training when I could have qualified?? Tell me how you overcome the negative thoughts when they enter your mind. I'll keep you posted on what I decide. Right now, I need to head to the gym for a leg and plyo work-out. Rock the Girl Power & Go Figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment